Laura Letchinger’s large contemporary abstract paintings reflect the self-taught artist’s process of creative intuition: “When I look at a finished piece I don’t feel it’s something that I in particular made, since it comes from a dynamic of being in the moment and then seeing, being then seeing . . . that’s what pulls me to the studio -- to see what comes up next.” Created with acrylics and mixed media, Letchinger’s multilayered artworks can include distressed washes of color, bold shapes and organic lines, giving her pieces an urban industrial, street graffiti edge. Influenced by her life in Chicago in the early 1990’s, her paintings overlap various creative “neighborhoods”, a result also due to a creative process that continues to surprise and evolve.
- 2016 (Jan): Gallery representation with Artspace Warehouse, Los Angeles, CA
- 2015 (Summer): Group Exhibition – The Mural Project @ CITYCENTRE presented by Muir Fine Art Gallery, Houston TX
- 2015 (Summer): First auction sale - REBIRTH 2 sold in the Los Angeles Art Association 90th Anniversary Auction at Gallery 825, Los Angeles CA lauraletchingerart.com/rebirth-2
- 2015 (Summer): Gallery representation with Muir Fine Art Gallery, Houston TX
- 2015 (Spring): Accepted as an Artist Member of the Los Angeles Art Association
Free from thinking about the past, the future, or even the present mark being made in front of me, a unique internal space exists into which creative energy can flow. I might have a certain intention or feeling as I paint, but I find making art to be the most interesting and exciting when this creative energy manifests in the physical world unfiltered by the mind. As a piece nears completion thoughts often do appear; I see patterns in the image and consider how to develop them. This magical, magnetic experience of being and discovery continually pulls me to the studio to see what comes up next.